New Haven, Connecticut

line decor
  
line decor
 
 
 
 


 

Emily Louise Gerry

 

Emily Louise Gerry

Emily Louise Gerry (1802-1894) was the First Regent of the Mary Clap Wooster Chapter NSDAR, and a true Daughter of the American Revolution. Miss Emily was the daughter of the Honorable Elbridge Gerry, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, Governor of Massachusetts, and for two years Vice-President of the United States under James Madison in 1813. For several years before her death she enjoyed the distinction of being the only surviving child of a "signer". Her name and personality brought to our newly formed chapter a prestige that still abides with it.  

The Mary Clap Wooster Chapter, NSDAR is proud of the distinction it enjoys in having so noted a woman as a former presiding officer in chief and is the only chapter worldwide to have had a Real Daughter as a regent.   

                  Emily Louise Gerry monument


The Mary Clap Wooster Chapter NSDAR also had two other Real Daughters as members, sisters Phebe Kimberly Castle and Lucretia Kimberly, daughters of patriot Ezra Kimberly. Ezra Kimberly was born in 1764 and although young at the time of the American Revolution his service was principally as a substitute in the defense of New Haven at the time of Tryon’s attack in 1779.






DAR

For more information on the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution or the Connecticut Daughters of the American Revolution, please click on the links below.

National Society Daughters of the American Revolution

Connecticut State Society, NSDAR

Last updated: October 18, 2019. Contact Webmaster

The content contained herein does not necessarily represent the position of the NSDAR. Hyperlinks to other sites are not the responsibility of the NSDAR, the state organizations, or individual DAR chapters.

 

Emily Louise Gerry note

 

Note from the chapter registrar regarding Emily Louise Gerry


Gerry home at Temple and Wall Streets

Phoebe Kimberly Castle

Real Daughter, Phoebe Kimberly Castle,

   Images courtesy of New Haven Museum